The Benefits of Quitting
Research shows that 80% of smokers would like to quit. Student Health Services provides one-on-one visits with Nurse Practitioners who can assist you in cutting down and quitting smoking, chewing, or using other forms of tobacco, including e-cigarettes. The benefits of quitting tobacco include:
- Increased energy throughout the day
- Improved self-esteem
- More money for other things
- More oxygen to the body
- Lower anxiety and stress levels
- Increased ability to smell and taste
- Whiter teeth
- Fresher breath
- Increased productivity
- Healthy lungs, deeper breathing
- Improved circulation in the body
- Ability to exercise increases
- Longer life
- Improved quality of life!!!!!!!
Read about SRJC non-smoking policy. We can also assist you in making connections to the support services below:
California Smoker’s Helpline: Help to quit by phone, FREE phone counseling and quit kits provided. Special programs for teens, pregnant women and chewing tobacco from the California Department of Public Health.
- English 1-800-NO BUTTS
- Spanish 1-800-456-6386
- Chewers 1-800-844-CHEW
- TDD/TTY 1-800-933-4833
Sonoma County Department of Health Services: For information on tobacco cessation class referrals, tobacco education, or to report a violation of tobacco laws call 707-565-6680.
Northern California Center for Well-Being: 365 Tesconi Circle, Suite B, Santa Rosa.
Call 707-575-6043 to register for Smoking Cessation Classes
- Classes meet 8 times in 7 weeks.
Quit Smoking for the last time! ONE SESSION workshop:
- Develop a quit plan
- learn about use of medications
- strategize to avoid relapse.
Cost: Sliding scale based on income. Some insurances may cover costs.
Nicotine Anonymous Support Group
- Ongoing support groups for anyone who wants to quit tobacco or support to stay tobacco-free.
- Speakers available for community groups on smoking cessation.
- Monday nights in Petaluma from 7:00 - 8:00 pm, Church of Christ, 370 Sonoma Mountain Parkway.
Contact: Terry at 707-664-9335.
Having trouble reading pdf files? Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader